Monday 14 October 2013

MG-42 Project Finished

This is the lowpoly model of the MG-42 I posted earlier. It has 1.972 tris (small triangles) and the textures are 1024px.

The project has gone quite well and I'm pretty happy with the result. There are some issues that I've not managed to solve but most are fixed. These images are taken from the viewport in 3ds Max with the Xoliul shader.



MartinHolmstrom_Weapon_Render_8
There should be holes in the cover for the barrel but I didn't get the alpha map to work with the Xoliul shader.

MartinHolmstrom_Weapon_Render_2
Side view. The metal is a bit non-detailed and could use a bit more details. The problem is that when I try to add more details I just feel like the texture gets muddled.

MartinHolmstrom_Weapon_Render_6
The stock has a few visible edges that I noticed too late and couldn't change. In hindsight I realize that I should have unwrapped it in a different way.

MartinHolmstrom_Weapon_Render_5
I would have been happy with 200-300 more tris to use for the model to make it a bit more detailed but it looks ok the way it is.

Diffuse map:
I have baked the ambient into the diffuse map and there should be an alpha layer as well but it didn't work for some reason.

Normal map:
I know there are errors but most of them are not visible when viewing the model.

1 comment: